Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Abilene Part 2

Friday was Farm Tour day.  I knew I didn't want to miss out on this once in a lifetime experience.  First up, was the Jack-a-lure training.  These are young dogs, I believe around 13 months of age, chasing the lure.  If you are a sight hound owner, you know these dogs (well some) will chase anything that moves.  In this case, a plastic bag.
 They take the dogs off the trailer two at a time.  The lure stays hidden under the straw bales until the guy pushes the button to make it go around the wire.  As you can tell by the blurry picture of the dog, these dogs were hauling butt!  One thing that I was amazed at, it didn't take them long at all to figure out they could cut across the track and get to the lure quicker.
Here is a pair of pups with the lure out ahead of them.
 At the end of the track, there is a guy with a hide and a squawker attached to a rope.  He distracts the dogs from the lure so they can get them loaded back on the trailer.
I took this picture of the hide/squawker on top of the trailer when the dogs were all loaded.
The dogs are done and most of them were already laying down.  I took this picture for prospective on the size of the compartments.  They will head back to their runs for a nice relaxing dip in the pool.
These are my observations.  The information I am passing along to you is my interpretation, so there could be mix ups in the "technical" terms.  Next stop, the road to puppyville...


5 comments:

  1. They definitely look like they are having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photos. I only saw one run as we got lost. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like they were having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever I hear about sighthounds chasing plastic bags, I feel like we should put them on litter patrol :)

    ReplyDelete