Friday, June 22, 2012

Rollercoaster Ride

This past month or so has been a rollercoaster ride for sure.  I put a lot of energy preparing for Tom's dental and then helping him recover.  Then last Wednesday, Tom was having problems with his rear end parts.  He was laying there and kept flicking his right rear leg.  Then it progressed to him chewing on the leg.  Then when he tried to stand up, he was staggering, his legs were shaking and then started giving out on him.  Off to the vet I go.  By the time we got there, he was already improving.  The vet really couldn't get a response from him during her exam.  Of course, being so close to when he had his dental, we really didn't want to sedate him again.  So we opted for medication.  Tom started taking 100 mg. of gabapentin 3 times a day.  The next day he was still very shaky, but a bit improved.  We added half of a tablet of rimadyl 2 times a day for a few days. With his kidney issues, we decided to quit that since he improved.  He has held steady, so let's hope this works for him.

Next up Sadie.  Sadie is a crazy fool.  She runs everywhere.  After a run in the yard a couple of weeks ago, it appeared that she had an intermittent limp.  I was watching constantly.  Is she limping, isn't she limping.  We all know what the greyhound limp can mean.  I was sick.  Couldn't sleep.  Finally, I decided to go to the vet.  Of course, with a wing named after me, they love me there.  They examined Sadie.  Just one little spot that they could get a little reaction out of.  Of course, they know me, and knew I would want an x-ray.  Being the smart woman that I am, of course, I withheld food before we went.  I knew that getting an x-ray would be the only way I would ever sleep again.  I picked up Miss Sadie and went to Sonic.  I was a little concerned that she didn't want her burger.  She was a little stiff and sore from the vet visit.  When the vet called me she said x-ray looked clear, but we need to have it read by the radiologist to be sure.  Of course, we do.  They just called and said there were no changes or suspicious areas on the x-ray.  So I think we are in the clear. Perhaps it is a soft tissue injury or an old racing injury.  Sadie was a pretty good little racer.  So for now, all is good in my world.

P.S. 3:30 This afternoon, I noticed Tom licking his foot.  Look and his toes are all stuck together.  Get it cleaned up and it is red and raw and oozing.  Now, he just had his nails done yesterday morning.  How the hell does this happen?  Since I am leaving town in the morning, I decided I better take him in.  Good thing I did, because it was already showing signs of infection.  Back on anti-biotics, flush twice dailly and follow up with medicated ointment.  Is this week over yet?


  1. I'm so glad that the "kids" are okay. Hopefully all can have a restful weekend.

  2. Let's hope you don't have to visit the vet again for a while.

  3. Wow that vet office must love you! hope everyone is okay. Deccy x

  4. oh what a month. I hope things are much calmer next month

    Stop on by for a visit

  5. Oh heck, hardly the good news I was hoping for. You and the pups are having a worrying time of it. So glad it's nothing serious with Sadie. Hope Tom's foot has improved. It's about time they forgot who you are at the vets!!